Monday, May 17, 2010

Not ME!! Monday

It's Monday! Time to purge all the events of the past week, and wrap them up in a fictitious bow! Funny things happen in the everyday course of life, and it seems the more I try and organize, plan, and do things, the more things go the NOT ME! way.

It was a beautiful day on Saturday, so we packed up our stuff, grabbed the kids and headed to the beach. I couldn't wait to get in the water, so I walked with Tyler into the waves as he was trying to position his boogie board just right. He called my name, and I turned towards him, watched him ride out the wave he was on, then turned back around.....just in time to get smacked by a pretty big wave. I did NOT tumble around, feel the sand rub my legs raw, and at one point feel my feet break the surface of the water. I finally got to my feet, stung from the removal of the top layer of skin from my thighs, as I tried to figure out where I was, and if my son was still on his feet. He was still standing, of course, and was in hysterics laughing at me. 'Wow, Mom, that wave knocked you and it was so funny.' As I am squinting from the brightness, it dawned on me......my sunglasses. I felt my face, my head, frantically searching for my not-so-inexpensive sunglasses. I did NOT shout to my husband, who was sitting in the sand, 'Hey, if you happen to see some sunglasses wash up, GRAB EM!!!' I should have asked him to also be on the lookout for the skin that was now removed from my legs.








On Sunday we headed to the base pool for some more fun in the sun. We were all set- the kids lathered in sun screen, towels packed, and a clean change of clothes to put on when we were done swimming. We jumped in the pool, anxious to get some relief from the heat. After about 45 minutes in the water, my husband yells out 'Babe!! Come here!' I swim over to him, thinking he's going to show me some cool new trick one of the boys learned,  as he fishes his Blackberry out of his pocket. My husband did NOT jump into the water with his cell phone in his pocket!!!

Later that day, as we were preparing to leave, Kaiti and I went into the girl's bathrooms, to shower the chlorine off and get dressed. We had errands to run and didn't want to walk around smelling like pool. I got Kaiti showered and dressed, and jumped in, prepared to take a quick one so we could head out. Just as I was washing my hair, I hear the bathroom fill up with people-- apparently everyone had enough pool at the same time. So, I'm trying to get the shampoo out of my hair when I heard a crash. My sweet daughter did NOT decide to come and pull on the shower curtain to tell me to hurry, and end up pulling the curtain down. There I stood, shampoo washing down my face, with about 5 women staring at me and my bulging pregnant belly. NICE!

We have NOT started calling Jack Jack 'Dennis', affectionately dubbed after Dennis The Menace. This child, who likes to color on walls, thinks it funny to put small objects in the toilet, pour buckets of water OUT of the tub, and remove everything from the pantry and refrigerator, definitely keeps his mama busy! When he decided to start wearing Tyler's batting helmet around the house, we all thought it was a great idea!



I work from home the majority of the time, but spend one day a week in my boss's home office. She is very flexible with my schedule, thank goodness, but when I commit to a time, I strive to be there as promised. So, last week, I told her I would be there at 3:30, and at 3:40 I was hustling to get in the car with all of my stuff. Jeremiah was dropping me off, and he hates me being late, so he is frantically hurrying me along. Just as we get in the car, I did NOT say, 'We need to stop at Winn Dixie first, because I need pineapple.' My husband turns to me, looking pretty incredulous, and says 'You're kidding, right? You're already late, and you want to stop and get a pineapple?' Annoyed that I am having to repeat myself, I did NOT say 'Yes, I need a pineapple. BAD. I know I am late, but THE BABY really needs the pineapple, so please, go to Winn Dixie.' I did NOT show up to work, pineapple in hand, 25 minutes late, but pleased as punch that I got my fruit!

Finally, after picking up Tyler from school one afternoon last week, the kids were unusually hyper, running around acting like wild things! The inevitable happened- Tyler and Jack came around the corner at the same time, at full speed and crashed into each other. I went to see if both were okay, give boo boo kisses and hugs, but also deliver my 'You have to be careful' speech. Just as I was wrapping up my very deep, well-versed speech, I did NOT turn around to slip on a dryer sheet laying on the floor, feel my feet go out from under me, knock Kaiti over on my way down, and proceed to spill the very full glass of water and ice I had in my hand. Not missing a beat, my sharp 6-year-old piped up 'Mom, YOU really need to be careful and watch where you are going cause you coulda really hurt someone!' OH NO HE DIDN'T!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it!

Rachel @ Finding Joy said...

You are one brave mom!! I'm impressed.

Love your post.

Rachel

Rachel @ Finding Joy said...

Thanks for your comment!

I have to laugh at your last paragraph. A couple of weeks ago I knocked over an entire bowl of cereal right after I told my little boys to be careful....then I just laughed at myself!

Rachel

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...