Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Ham & Gruyere Hawaiian Sweet Roll Sammies!

I spent the past 4 or so hours cramming stuff into suitcases, putting together outfits, making lists, and charging everything with a power source. I should be finishing the last of the packing for our big trip to Virginia tomorrow, but I needed a break.

And I also remembered that I have been meaning to share a little bit of delicious with you. A few days ago my husband called me at about 11am to say that he should be home by 1. That NEVER happens! So I told him not to eat anything so I could make him lunch and we could have a special little (late) lunch date....with our two littlest, of course.

I found the recipe in my Taste of Home magazine and knew it would be a hit. My family loves ham and rolls. I am not a fan of ham AT ALL, but I really like these little sandwiches!



Hawaiian Sweet Roll Mini Sammies

1 Pack of Hawaiian Sweet Rolls (12 rolls in a pack)
1 lb of Black Forest Ham from the Deli
12 slices of Gruyere (Swiss would be yummy too)
1 Tub of Chive & Onion Cream Cheese
1/2 cup of melted butter, plus more for greasing dish
1 Tbsp of Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 Tbsp of Dried Minced Onion
1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan



Preheat your oven to 350. Grease your 9x13 baking dish with butter. The recipe doesn't say to grease your pan with butter, but if I've learned anything from PW, it's that you GOTTA HAVE BUTTA! Cut your sweet rolls in half and line the bottom half of your dish with the bottom halves. Set the tops to the side.

In a bowl, mix melted butter, Worcestershire Sauce, minced onion and parmesan. Set aside.

Put a good-sized layer of ham on top of the bottom halves of the rolls. Then lay a slice of gruyere on top of the ham.



 Spread the tops of the rolls with the chive & green onion cream cheese. I wouldn't go to heavy here because you don't want to only taste cheese-- that would mask the hammyness and that would be just wrong. And remember, ham and I aren't great buddies, so that means something. Once the cream cheese is spread on top, place the tops on the cheese layer, completing your little stacks.



Now that your sandwiches are all layered, you just need to give them a fun little kick. Enter the bowl mixins. Drizzle the bowl of butter, sauce, onions and parmesan on top of your sandwiches, using your fork to coax the onions out (otherwise the onions are stubborn and will plop out on the last sandwich). Each sandwich should have some of that on top.


Cover your dish with foil and pop those suckers in the oven. The online recipe says to let 'em cook for 20 minutes, but I'd set your timer for 18 or so and check on them because I did a full 20 minutes without looking at them and the tops were a little crispier than I care for.....as in charred. The last time I made them I kept checking on them so they were fine. Which is why there is no after. But, it's not like it stopped us. 

Let me know if you make them! They are good good good! Enjoy friends!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...