Friday, September 23, 2011

Extreme Home Makeover Season Premiere!

Last week I was offered a special opportunity, one that I am excited to share with you! I was asked if I'd like to watch the season premiere of Extreme Home Makeover: Season 9 before it aired!

I don't think I have ever watched a full episode of the show, but with 4 kids, I have not really watched a full episode of any show in the past eight years if it didn't involve a Golden Girl or a well-drawn Mouse.

When I was told what this particular episode's focus was, I was anxious to jump on board.

I am fairly certain everyone knows what Extreme Home Makeover is all about, and you all know the miracles they work on these structures in under a week. Not only do they restore these homes to blow-you-away condition, they restore peoples sense of hope, of community and of good will in others. More of that, please, world!

Can I just tell you....Season 9 takes all of those good things, and blows them out of the water! I watched the last two-thirds of the show with glassy, tear-filled eyes and a swell in my throat. The show. Is. BEAUTIFUL.

You know I have a special place in my heart for the men and women of our armed forces-- especially our Sailors! So when I heard that the season premiere was going to rebuild the home of a former Naval officer, I couldn't wait to see the story play out. Not only did this woman give over a decade of her life to the Navy, she is now on a mission to ensure that no former servicewoman gets left behind or forgotten.

I don't want to give too much away, but this woman's story is so inspiring and uplifting and she brings light to a subject that not enough people are aware of. Seeing how she continues to dedicate her life to other's and so generously gives all she can, when she truly has very little left to give, it is just amazing. Then to see this large stadium-wide size team of builders, designers, electricians, carpenters and volunteers bless this woman with a beautifully made-over home- it is the very best of who we all can be.

How can watching a television show so renew my hope in the human spirit and my faith in people's goodness?

Simple. It reminded me, it focused in on, the notion that there are people- LOTS of them- who are still willing to stop what they are doing, go without, and be inconvenienced, to help others in need. That people see someone doing good, and it makes them want to be a part of it. Tapping into that goodness makes you want to pass it on and join in.

Oh, and did I mention one Very Important Person who joined in on this makeover?!?!

The First Lady of the United States, Michelle Obama, jumps in to help out! How many shows push the First Lady herself to join in, rolls up her sleeves and make herself a part of the mission to give this former Sailor a beautifully redone home? It's incredible!

You guys have to check it out! It premieres on Sunday, September 25th on ABC. You can watch the trailer below to get a little peek at what's in store!



I'm honored to have been chosen to see the premiere early and be part of the excitement surrounding the show's new season! Enjoy the show, folks......and you might want to have some tissues ready and get your clappin' hands revved up!

.....oh, I am seeing someone about the excessive exclamation point use, but for this post, the exclamations were all that would do :)

Disclosure: I was given the opportunity to watch this show before it aired, but in no way am I being compensated for this review. The opinions shared here are my own and are not a reflection of any political view. I only share and discuss things I feel strongly about and feel would benefit my readers.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...