Monday, February 20, 2023

Scraps from older projects becomes something new.

I shared about a quilt I made recently that is/was one of my favorite finishes in a long while.  This lavender quilt I made began with the idea of simply making geese in a patchwork quilt that was soaked in shades of lavender. 

Side note. I love making one at a time geese. I know it's not very efficient, time-wise, but I love doing them this way to make more of a scrappy block. Another downside to one-at-a-time geese is that it can create waste. But when I made the quilt I mentioned above, I took the trimmings of each goose block and stitched them together to create other blocks. So basically my trimmings from each 1-at-a-time flying goose (lol) created 2 sets of HSTs. I stitched each of them together and from the trimmings, I got a smaller flying goose block. WINNING!

I have actually made several lavender quilts in the past couple years, and I had saved all my scraps in a large ziplock bag and used them all to build this new quilt top.

So this is where I started-- dumping out my bag of scraps, and then some ironing.



I ironed and stitched together some of the diamond and geese I had already made from scraps.


Look! No wasted trimmings, they all became little geese in different sizes. I can't tell you how gratified I felt using these pieces up. 

I kept building and decided for this one, I wanted more white space and didn't want the lavender as saturated. So I used low volumes in black and white, white with a little bit of color, and threw in some creamy colored fabrics for contrast.




I mentioned above that I really love flying geese blocks, but I also REALLY love stars-- sawtooth stars, wonky stars, FPP stars- you name the star, I will love it. I have been trying to sneak these stars into quilts, lately, and of course, this quilt needed one, too. 



And here she is, all done and ready to be quilted. I included a lot of my favorite fabrics and favorite blocks and can't wait to get this one quilted up and ready to go! And I still have a lot of lavender scraps, so I am thinking I am going to work in another color  of scraps and put it back in a bag for a quilt top for another day!

Update  - Quilt IS FINISHED!!!








No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...