Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Favorite Blocks - part one

 I was looking through pictures this weekend of quilts I made, and I noticed that there are some styles I make again and again, some colors I make with often, and some blocks I always go back to.

My top five very favorite quilt blocks to make are (in no particular order)

  1. Log Cabins
  2. Flying Geese
  3. Stars (wonky or sawtooth)
  4. Drunkard's Path
  5. Churn Dash

Log Cabins are so easy and fun to make and you can either make them with precise measurements, or my personal fave, improv style, where you keep building it out until you get to your desired size. Here are some of my favorite log cabin quilts. 


I love this quilt. One of the few I regret not keeping. 



This quilt is basically one big log cabin, all pieced around the center block.


Same with this one. This quilt was pieced around the center block, with different colors on each side of the cabin.


Flying Geese blocks I make again and again. In fact, the very first original pattern I created and wrote down was made around making flying geese blocks against a patchwork sky.




This was my first geese quilt that prompted the pattern creation. And even though I created a pattern for it, I changed it some with each subsequent version of it.







And then this one was just geese with different blocks around it.


I feel like this post is getting lengthy, so I will continue it more tomorrow, and my kiddos are off school today for Mardi Gras and asking me to play cards, so I am going to wrap this up tomorrow.

In the meantime, I'd love to know what your favorite blocks are!!













No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...