Friday, March 17, 2017

hello, bear and a sort of economy block quilt

I think this the 2nd or 3rd quilt I made around Bonnie Christine's Hello, Bear line. I love it. It is whimsical and modern and sort of neutral, with pops of color, and so fun!

I'd had the idea to make a 2/3s economy block quilt for a bit. In the traditional economy block, the center piece is a square, set into a diamond, set into a square. In my version, the center was a diamond, set in a square. There might actually be a name for this type of block, I just don't know of one.

Here is a close up of the blocks.


I added sashing in between the columns to make it a bit wider. The creamy flecked fabric in the background, Firefly,  might be one of my very favorite low volume prints ever. Aside from the softness that the cream adds, there is the actual silky softness that is the staple of Art Gallery fabrics. 

I really like how it turned out.


I decided to back it with another print from the hello, bear line, because it is just so perfect!!


And I decided to quilt it minimally, just around the diamonds. You can see it well on the back above.


I was unsure of binding it in the black cotton + steel sprinkle fabric, but I am so glad I did. I feel like it adds a cool dimension to the quilt. I definitely think I will make another 2/3s economy block quilt again. haha! 

Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts

Confessions Of A Fabric Addict

6 comments:

Jen said...

Lovely colors on this. It looks so cozy. And the way you fussy cut some of the diamonds is so cute. :)

Annette Mandel said...

Traditionally called a square-in-a-square block. Your project is lovely!

shannon said...

Thank you!! While I find fussy cutting to be painful (so much fabric waste!) I love how it looks in a quilt.

shannon said...

Ahh! Thank you Annette!! I figured there was a name for it! No I can appropriately name my next one like this :) Thank you for your kind comment!

Kathy@KayakQuilting said...

Wow! I love,love this! The colors are great and the handling of the economy blocks is brilliant!

shannon said...

Thank you Kathy! What a sweet thing to say!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...