Saturday, March 14, 2020

a break and then a whirlwind

Maybe I should just accept the fact that maybe I fit into a weird subgenre of quilting called "stagnant-frenzied quilting." As in, I do nothing for a long (long, long) time, and then I get my groove back, and I churn out several things, almost compulsively.

Part of this is dictated by my circumstances. I have 5 children and my husband deploys overseas very often and is gone for months at a time. When my husband is gone, it's really difficult to find the time to quilt. Complicating it further, after working all day and then attending to my kids, my brain seems to be deficient in creative inspiration. The lack of time and motivation naturally lead to a pause in creativity.

But also, that tends to be my personality. I am all or nothing and I tend to exhaust myself doing the all, and that eventually leads to nothing. My goal is to do what I can to lessen the periods of nothing, because I truly do love and benefit from quilting.

So, my lack of making led to 5 quilts being completed in the last couple weeks.

The first thing I made was this simple star quilt, that was inspired by a floor tile I saw somewhere. I searched for the inspiration tile, and of course, now I cannot find it anywhere.

Here are a few pictures of the completed quilt.


I did some basic quilting at the 4 corners mark, and then did a bit of hand quilting at the top and bottom of the stars. You might need to squint to see it.


I really wanted to let the Maureen Cracknell print speak for itself and felt it needed to be a big block to really let it's beauty shine.


This better shows the edge quilting I did.


It was a fun, quick, and satisfying return to quilting and it is in my shop here


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...