Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Favorite Blocks Part 2

 Yesterday, I shared about my favorite quilt blocks to make again and again. I am wrapping that up today, and would love to hear about what quilt blocks are your favorites.


  1. Log Cabins (shared yesterday)
  2. Flying Geese (shared yesterday)
  3. Stars -Wonky or sawtooth 
  4. Drunkard's Path
  5. Churn Dash
Picking up where I left off - on Stars. How can you not love a star? It's definitely a very traditional block, but I feel like you can give any block a modern twist in many different ways....one being, make it wonky. I tend to make wonky stars over sawtooth, but I still love a good sawtooth star.  Here are some of the star quilts I have made.


Wonky stars in peachy pink and white. 


I loved this fabric so much, I just wanted it to be one giant sawtooth star.


Another twist on a star, with bug patchwork blocks sewn to make a star quilt.




This Liberty of London star quilt was so fun. So much negative space so the stars could really shine.


And this might be my favorite wonky star quilt, that makes me instantly crave Starburst candy. One of the best things about a wonky star is the center square can be a fussy cut, so you can have a fun design and showcase a beautiful piece of fabric.


The Drunkard's Path block is a more recent favorite. I used to HATE sewing curves, but like anything else in life, the more you try it, the better you get at it. If I was going to give any tips on drunkard path's it would be - the bigger the curve, the easier the sewing. Go slow. And use pins. I almost NEVER use pins. But I do on small curved pieces. I haven't made a ton of circle blocks, but this one quilt I recently made is one of my favorite things I have ever created.


Are the seams on the circles absolutely perfect - No! But do I still love it so much- YESSSSS!


In my opinion, the drunkards path lends to a more modern block. Especially when you combine a curve with straight lines. The contrast between the two is where it's at!


I am breaking the rules on quilt humility here, but I loved this quilt so much. The only way I was able to part with it was because I started a quilt in a similar color palette months before I made this one, knowing I was going to keep the original.


This is an example of a BIG drunkard path. Much easier to piece, and also better to feature a piece of fabric that you want to show off.





This is the drunkard path quilt block I am making to keep. Using little bits of fabric scraps from past projects to create some early evening moons. I have two blocks done and seeing this just made me eager to make some more.

Finally, rounding out my top 5 blocks-- the churn dash. I actually have not made this one that much, but I really do love it! I generally am not a fan of HSTs but this block mixes HSTs with basic patchwork, and it actually comes together quickly. Additionally love the idea of fussy cutting the center of the churn dash!


I made this for a mini quilt swap, but love the idea of creating this in 9 blocks, 3 x 3, and turning it into a quilt. 


These fabrics and colors!!!! I had almost forgotten about this one, and it just made me feel like I need drive to the beach and get frozen yogurt. Something about Heather Bailey fabrics just makes me think of summer fun!



And that is it - my five favorite quilt blocks. The list of runner ups would be endless (square in a square, improv triangles, plus blocks), but these are the blocks I always go back to.

What are your favorite quilt blocks?





1 comment:

Amy Walker-Michigan said...

My grandma made the most beautiful quilts, usually pieced together by using scrap material or clothing that we grandchild had outgrown or wore out (…and often too, using old work day shirts and dressier shirts of my dad’s and grandpa’s) for her priceless quilt creations. All of us grandkids loved playing under grandma’s quilting frame, my grandpa fabricated for her, as she quilted together her quilts with her prefect and precise hand stitches. In later years her quilts were more treadle machine sewn, lap sized with simple block patterns and tied off to finish ….still mainly using pieces of clothing for the quilt tops. Some of my favorite patterns she made were…flying geese, log cabin, stars of all numbers of points and split rail fence. With those being some of my favorite patterns, I couldn’t resist purchasing your recent beautiful lavender creation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...