Wednesday, October 4, 2017

A rather racy name for a quilt block

Whenever I begin a quilt, it usually starts from one of two or three different foundations: knowing what pattern I want to make, knowing what color scheme I want to use, or having an idea of what I want the quilt to mean, and building from there.

With this particular quilt, I bought a bundle from Cassie of @sewstitchinghappy_shop and decided when I got it, that it begged for a traditional block, but one that really showed off the fabric. Some prints want to be cut up tiny, and some really want to be on display.



In this photo above, it was the pink unicorns set against the olivey, mossy green that I knew I needed to keep in tact. 

So I began thinking of more traditional blocks that I have been wanting to make-- there are plenty of those, because I usually end up creating a more modern design that isn't based on blocks, or of I am doing blocks, stick to simple patchwork, wonky stars, or geese. So my list of "want to try" blocks is long!

I have been wanting to make this "Big O" block for a bit, but wasn't sure about rows of the same blocks.  

First of all, can we take a second to address the fact that I am really an adolescent boy at heart. I read the name of the quilt block and totally giggled. A friend texted me while I was making the blocks asking what I was doing that I couldn't answer her call and I said "just working on the big O!" and I think she about choked on her diet coke. hahahaha. Okay, back to being a grown up.....

The Big O block. (hehehe) I wanted to make it, but not row after row of the O. So I decided to vary the size of the blocks and break them up some. As always, it would have been much simpler and easier on my brain had I devised a plan right away. Instead I just made blocks in random sizes as I went along and placed them where I thought they looked best using my fancy design wall -- master bedroom floor-- and then stitched them together when I had a design I liked. Which occurred after about 329 rearranges. 

I am a big fan of varying the sizes of blocks-- I feel like it makes a design look fresh, but that's definitely just my own taste and preference. 


I feel like rather than rows of O's, it looks more like pretty little donuts floating about. 






Someone on Instagram recently asked fellow quilters about which part of the quilt making process they dread most. I was surprised how many people said binding! I love that part!! Binding, to me, is like reading a wonderful book.You have invested so much time and energy and thought into this book, and you get to the last few pages and it all comes together. That feeling of closing the book and setting it down, completely gratified! That is what binding feels like to me. 

On the other hand, making a quilt backing makes me grumbly. When I finally finish piecing and constructing the top, I really DO NOT want to piece a backing. I just want to get to the quilting! I have a habit of paying my children to do the housework I really dislike (putting laundry away, cleaning toilets...), so maybe soon, I can pay my oldest daughter to stitch up a backing for me! #momgoals

This is the third time I have quilted in big ol' infinity loops, and every time I am pleased with how it looks. Not perfect, not precise, but the curves provide ample crinkle and make it a little more laid back, to me.

This quilt is all done and sitting contentedly in my shop here. 

Happy Wednesday friends. 

Linking up here:










4 comments:

Vickie said...

I really like the colors of the quilt !

shannon said...

Thank you Vickie!! Cassie of @sewstichinghappy makes the best bundles, so she makes it easy!!

the momma said...

this is a sweet one, too! (I did not get in on this bundle. sadness.)

the momma said...

(I totally cracked up at you telling your friend you were working on the big O)

~Tracy

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...