Sunday, July 1, 2018

quilt the book. again, and this time I mean it!

Updated to add this: After writing through this post and flipping through some of my beloved quilt books I was wanting to flip back and forth between books, so I am altering my goal. Instead I will be quilting the bookS. I am going to try and tackle a few quilts from each of the books I mention below and I am aiming for 2 quilts from these books a month. So my new challenge will be #quiltthebooks18 


------------

Two years ago, after flipping through one of my favorite quilting books, Quilt Love, I decided to create a project goal for myself, Quilt The Book. You can read about my earlier experience here. 

I may have mentioned this before, but when it comes to long term quilting projects, I pretty much always fizzle out. I guess I just don't have the stamina....I'm more of a burst quilter. As evidenced by this blog. Nothing for 6 months and then back to back to back quilts in a weeks time. Past quilting projects I gave committed to but gave up not even halfway in- quilt the book 2016, #100days100blocks, the sewcial bee sampler, the 100 day project......wow, this is depressing. I will stop there.

So, knowing what I am and am not great at, I am taking on this challenge again, but with a loose frame so I don't feel boxed in.



The book I chose is Wise Craft Quilts by Blair Stocker. It is AMAZING!! Even if you don't take on the premise of taking fabrics you already have and turning them into quilts, it is packed FULL of amazing patterns that are so inspiring. I have not been this obsessed with a quilting book in a couple years.

Here is my plan. I am going to shoot for making 1/3 to 1/2 the quilts in the book, and while I am tagging this self-guided challenge #shannonquiltsthebook18, I am not necessarily needing to finish by the end of 2018. There are 21 quilts in this book, so I'd like to make at least 7-12 quilts, and I am shooting for one a month. I am not going to limit myself to only making patterns from this book. Which is necessary because I need the freedom to make other things.

So would you like to join me? You don't have to make from this book, it'd just be fun to be in community with others who are putting their own spin on a well-loved book. I am also using the hashtag #quiltthebook18. I would love for you to quilt with me!

Are you wondering about ideas for books? I am OBSESSED with quilt books. I am not sure what specifically it is about them, maybe just the different ideas and translations of this art form I love. So here are a handful of my other favorite quilt books if you are needing a good quilt book!



Liberty Love. (I LOVE this book!! It's top 3 for me!!) The Marcelle Medallion and Sugar Stars are each amazing in different ways!!


Quilt Love. Also amazing, and the source of my earlier neglected quilt the book challenge. I have made 3 favorite quilts from this book -  Morning Coffee Quilt Circle, Leaving The Nest, and New Baby Quilt. You guys-- this book is incredible.


Last Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts. Love this one, too! That color wheel quilt!!Just Sweet Enough!! Stacked Coins! And I have made Summer Breeze and it is perfection.


The Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters. This is another book chock full of beautiful motivation to step outside your comfort zone. On my list of quilt scores to make- Floating Squares, Strings, and Modern Block Improv. Seriously, typing all these out makes me want to use this book for my next challenge. 



And last but not least Quilting From Every Angle. These quilts speak to my modern, minimal, negative space loving heart. My list of quilts to make includes Wayward (I LOVE this pattern!!), Colorblock, and that Desert Blooms Medallion is GORGEOUS!

There are dozens more books I love but I thought I would stick to my top 5 and not overwhelm you! I tried to link a variety of sources for these books- I get nothing from it, just wanted to share, but you can google each title and find what works for you :) 

Join me in quilting the book!!!! 



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...