Saturday, October 28, 2017

A plus quilt to restore my mojo

Every once in a while I feel like in order to be *good* I must do something complex or new. I need to be uber creative in order to produce something that is *good*.

The irony is that thinking like that completely cripples me, creatively. I draw out designs or try to come up with a way to reinvent the wheel or put a very unique spin on something that, when the ideas don't come, I feel inadequate or unqualified to call myself a "quilter".

This happens more than I would like it to. And in those moments, there is nothing really happening and it kind of sucks the fun out of making for me. The most recent occurrence was a bundle I got from Janum fabrics  during one of the Tuesday night bundle specials Majd hosts weekly on instagram. This particular bundle made me super happy. One, because it was boy themed. (Are we allowed to say that still? I mean no offense.) There is no shortage of girly quilts or color palettes in my stash and the majority of the quilts I make tend to be geared more towards girls. So when something comes along that screams BOY!! it makes it a lot easier for me. Like this bundle I purchased. Second, there were reprints from Sarah Jane, which I happen to LOVE!

But I got hung up on wanting to create something "complicated" or "original". So it sat, atop my fabric shelf, staring me down. Finally, this week, I decided to get over myself and go with my original "non-complex" idea for the bundle-- a simple plus quilt.

And you know what? I am glad I did. When did I decide that simple is less than??? The reality is, the simpler designs are always the ones that make me most happy. So here it is. My simple plus quilt.



Sometimes I play a game where I make myself choose my a fabric in a quilt that I love the best. 


In this quilt, it was a tie. Between the little boy pirates, looking for treasure.......


...and those incredible whales above. 


I backed it in a gray minky fabric that makes it super luxuriously soft and cuddly. 


Those ships!!!


I need to remind myself often that the pattern doesn't need to be super elaborate to be beautiful. 

Happy Weekend, friends!


Linking up with the following:

Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts





2 comments:

Gemini Jen NZ said...

I think the whales are my favourites on this quilt - what a lovely quilt it is. And you are right, sometimes simple is simply the best!

Brooke said...

I love the whales, too. And you're so right about overcomplicating. I love plus quilts! This one is muy bueno!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...