Monday, July 29, 2019

The rainbow that made me cuss

I know rainbows are cheerful and happy and magical. They really are. But sometimes, or one time, a rainbow also drove me bonkers.

I made a quilt with Alison Glass woven cotton called Kaleidoscpe. Actually, it was my second quilt with this bundle. I already knew the thicker fibers of this woven cotton was more obvious if a bit became frayed, as fabric that has been cut does. So I was especially careful with my trimming and pressing my seams down into the colored fabrics, away from the white cotton I used to frame it. But, I think, because my quilting was minimal, after washing, I noticed some brightly colored threads peeking out against the white fabric....I only saw it when I did my quality check and held the quilt up to the sunlight.

I tried coaxing the threads with ym fingers between the layers. Didn't work. I tried letting it go and moving on. Didn't work. Those little threads atop the top of each column, the dark magenta bits that were intent on driving me crazy, were all that I saw. I cast the quilt aside for a day, because truly I was so frustrated.

Finally, the next day, I realized I could not handle letting them be. So i took the binding off the quilt and cleaned up the threads. And this time, I "sealed" the columns of color by quilting lines of a border around each tower, with the idea being that the tight stitches would force any little threads back towards the colored fabric. And it worked!

So it is done and in my shop, and I am happy with it now. But this rainbow and I had a rough go.


I couldn't decide on a quilt backing, so I asked my instagram friends to vote on a fabric, and this was their choice. They didn't let me down! I love it.

That brings up a question I have.....when making a quilt, do you begin with a backing in mind? Or are you like me, and see what you have that will work?

(p.s. I buy fabrics in large cuts specifically to have a stash of quilt backs, and I currently have at least 12 solid fabrics ready to be a quilt back.)



I left the towers unquilted, to make them pop a bit more. I like the look, but as I shared above, it came at a price. lol.


As soon as I finished attaching this binding, I realized I needed more yardage of this because I LOVE it. Honestly, more than striped binding. 


Look at that pretty fabric on the back! It makes me happy. 


My favorite type of quilt picture to take.


I was trying to choose a favorite color while making this and I think that prickly pear green might beat that deep aqua.


This rainbow and I are friends now. The end.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...